Don't have an account? To participate in discussions consider signing up or signing in
facebook connect
Sign-up, its free! Close [x]


  • okay Create lasting relationships with other like minded women.
  • okay Blogging, let your voice be heard!
  • okay Interact with other women through blogs,questions and groups.
  • okay Photo Album, upload your most recent vacation pictures.
  • okay Contests, Free weekly prize drawing.
  • okay Weekly Newsletter.

Love it

My oldest daughter was born 33 years ago today.

I know each of us that are mothers remember the births of our children, but I wanted to share with everyone what I remember.

The phone rang on Jan 26th. 1978. I jumped out of bed to answer it and it was my step dad wanting to know if my husband and I were ok. It was snowing like crazy and the wind was blowing horribly and there were many homes without power. I spoke with him for just a moment and decided to go back to bed. On my way back to bed I felt something wet and warm running down my leg...Yep, my water broke. This was my first pregnancy and for some reason even when that happened I wasn’t nervous about it. I woke my husband up and told him we needed to go to the hospital. While he was outside starting the car I decided to get dressed. He came back in and said the car was stuck in the snow...well me being the young (20) “can do anything type of person I was” I decided to go outside and help him shovel the car out. I wasn’t having any pain so I figured it would be ok. We got the car out and even though we were only 5 min from the hospital it took us 30 min to get there. Everything worked out ok and I didn’t give birth to my daughter until about 5 hours later. I didn’t have any drugs whatsoever and actually had very little pain.

Below is some information I found about the Blizzard of 78...

On day one, January 25, a heavy snow warning was issued at 430 am and was upgraded to a blizzard warning at 345 pm that afternoon. The day began with five inches of snow on the ground. Only one inch was added by 7 pm, but by 10 pm, snowfall became heavy. Arctic air blasted in just before midnight with frequent gusts above 35 mph creating blizzard conditions. These conditions continued unabated for the next 24 hours.

On day two, just a half hour after the arctic front blasted through, the Indianapolis International Airport was closed due to whiteout conditions. At 3 am, the blizzard produced peak winds of 55 mph. Temperatures dropped to zero that morning. Wind chills remained a bone chilling 40 to 50 below zero nearly all day.

The governor declared a snow emergency for the entire state the morning of the 26th. Snow drifts of 10 to 20 feet made travel virtually impossible, stranding an Amtrak train and thousands of vehicles and weary travelers. During the afternoon of the 26th, the Indiana State Police considered all Indiana roads closed.

Nearly every Hoosier who experienced the Blizzard of 78 has a story to tell. It certainly was one for the records, one to remember for Hoosiers.

Love it


Member Comments

About this author View Blog »