Don't have an account? To participate in discussions consider signing up or signing in
facebook connect
Sign-up, its free! Close [x]


  • okay Create lasting relationships with other like minded women.
  • okay Blogging, let your voice be heard!
  • okay Interact with other women through blogs,questions and groups.
  • okay Photo Album, upload your most recent vacation pictures.
  • okay Contests, Free weekly prize drawing.
  • okay Weekly Newsletter.

  • grandparents and other relatives raising children

    1 posts, 1 voices, 728 views, started Jan 23, 2009

    Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009


    • inactive

      September 2007

      The AARP Foundation, The Brookdale Foundation Group, Casey Family Programs,
      Child Welfare League of America, Children's Defense Fund, and Generations United
      have partnered to produce fact sheets for grandparents and other relatives raising children
      that include state-specific data, programs, and public policies. This and other state fact
      sheets can be viewed and printed from the website at Fact
      sheets are updated annually. Updates can be sent directly from the website via email.
      Please write "State Fact Sheets" on your e-mail subject line.

      In Washington...
      • There are 61,905 children living in grandparent-headed households (4.1% of all
      the children in the state). There are another 24,086 children living in households
      headed by other relatives (1.6% of all the children in the state). Of the children
      living in households headed by grandparents or other relatives in Washington,
      35,761 are living there without either parent present.
      • 35,341 grandparents report they are responsible for their grandchildren living with
      them [7,903 in King County and 5,364 in Pierce County]: 6% of these
      grandparents are African American; 10% are Hispanic/Latino; 5% are American
      Indian or Native Alaskan; and 48% are White. 39% of these grandparents live in
      households without the children's parents present. 71% are under the age of 60;
      13% live in poverty.
      • Additional national and state data on grandparents raising children is available
      on AARP's website at

      Programs That Can Help
      Casey Family Grandparents Reparenting Group
      Sponsoring Organization: Casey Family Program Seattle Division
      Contact: Abbey Moon
      Phone: 206-731-2557
      Service Area: Seattle
      Services Offered:
      • Support group – well-established but welcomes new members; child care offered
      • Expert speakers

      Casey Family Programs Yakima Division Office
      Sponsoring Organization: Casey Family Programs, Yakama Nation, Catholic Family & Child Service,
      Children's Administration/Department of Children and Family Services; Area
      Agency on Aging; Opportunities Industrialization Center)
      Phone: 509-457-8197 or 877-3065
      Contact: Grace Smith, Supervisor of Community Programs
      Contact: Jenece Yeahpau Howe, Community Specialist
      Service area: Yakama Nation
      Services offered:
      • Case management
      • Support meetings using culturally-integrated curriculum
      • "Powerful Families" training
      • KINdred Spirits – Families Helping Families
      o Collaboration formed in 2006
      o Bimonthly newsletter for caregivers
      o Annual kinship conference
      o Support groups./educational classes
      o Contact:
      Mary Pleger, Catholic Family & Child Service 509-965-7100
      Grace Smith, Casey Family Programs 509-457-8197

      Catholic Community Services in Mt. Vernon
      Contact: BJ Johnson
      Phone: 360-416-7546
      Service area: Mt. Vernon
      Services offered:
      • Information and referral by telephone
      • Support group meetings with child care
      • Respite care
      • Regular newsletter

      Children's Home Society and Aging and Adult Care
      Contact: Juanita Echelbarger, Facilitator
      Phone: 509-886-9027
      Service area: Wenatchee/East Wenatchee and Chelan/Douglas Counties
      Services offered:
      • Support group with child care and youth activities
      • Information and referral by telephone
      • Respite care
      • Regular newsletter

      Washington GrandFacts - 3
      Clark County Kinship Care Coalition
      Contact: Bridge McLeman
      Phone: 360-695-1325
      Service area: Clark County
      Services offered:
      • Coalition to provide information sharing and networking
      • Referrals and resources

      Columbia Legal Services and the Northwest Justice Project
      Contact: Columbia Legal Services at 206-464-5911
      Contact: Northwest Justice Project CLEAR Line
      1-888-201-1014 or 1-888-387-7111
      Service area: King County – Columbia Legal Services
      All other counties – Northwest Justice Project
      Services offered:
      • Legal assistance to kinship caregivers
      • Information, referral

      Cowlitz/Wahkiakum County Kinship Care Coalition
      Contact: Robert Mumford
      Phone: 360-501-2555
      Contact: Sandy Junker
      Phone: 360-442-2801
      Service area: Cowlitz and Wahkiakum Counties
      Services offered:
      • New coalition to encourage information sharing, networking and development of kinship care resources
      • Maintains support group connections for kinship caregivers
      • Information and resources for professionals working with families

      Family Education and Support Services
      Contact: Shelly Willis, Program Director
      Phone: 303-754-7629
      Service area: Lewis, Thurston, Mason Counties
      Services offered:
      • Kinship Care Support Program – support groups with child/youth activities
      • Kinship Navigator Program – resources and referrals
      • Voices of Children Raised by Grandparents and Other Relatives Annual Contest coordination

      Washington GrandFacts - 4
      Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
      Sponsoring Organization: Northwest Washington Area Agency on Aging
      Contact: Ethyl Warbus, Coordinator, Northwest Regional Council
      Phone: 360-676-6749
      Service area: Northwest Washington
      Services offered:
      • Grandparents Raising Grandchildren - resource guide on Indian Child Welfare Act, self-care, grief,
      chemical dependency; distributed to six tribes in two-county northwest area
      • Legal assistance
      • Tribal Outreach Coordinator can assist with starting a local Kinship Talking Circle

      Grandparents Support Group
      Sponsoring Organization: East County Senior Center
      Contact person: Jacob McGee
      Phone: 360-794-6359
      Service area: Eastern Snohomish County
      Services offered:
      • Support group for kinship caregivers; child care provided
      • Respite activities
      • Education opportunities
      • Speakers at support meetings

      Kent Youth and Family Service
      Contact: Kristie Lund
      Phone: 206-371-6642
      Service area: Kent area
      Services offered:
      • Relatives as Parents Project
      • Support group meetings with child care
      • Information and referral by telephone
      • Newsletter
      • Conferences, workshops, training

      King County Kinship Collaboration
      Sponsoring Organization: Casey Family Programs
      Contact: Barb Wiley, Coordinator
      Phone: 206-268-6785
      Service area: King County

      Washington GrandFacts - 5
      King County Kinship Collaboration – cont.
      Services offered:
      • 12 key agencies signed charter in 2005; 35 organizations along with kinship caregivers and support group
      leaders participate in a variety of work groups
      • Services to kinship care providers
      • Collaboration works to provide comprehensive and coordinated services, improve access to existing
      resources and educate the community about kinship care issues

      Kinship Care Solutions Project
      Sponsoring Organization: King County Bar Association
      Contact: Lawyer Referral Service
      Phone: 206-267-7010 to request intake interview
      Service area: King County
      Services offered:
      • Screens cases for referral to volunteer attorneys in Nonparental Custody cases
      • Clients must be income eligible and have a case pending in King County Superior Court

      Kinship Caregivers Support Program (KCSP)
      Sponsoring Organization: Aging and Disability Services Administration
      Phone/Fax: 800-422-3263
      Web: [Link Removed]
      Service area: Statewide
      Services offered:
      • Support for kinship caregivers who are not involved with the formal child welfare system
      • Financial help for clothes, food, car seats, etc.
      • Referral to other sources of financial support

      National Family Caregiver Support Program (FCSP)
      Web: [Link Removed]
      Click on "local FCSP" (Family Caregiver Support Program")
      Service area: Statewide
      Services offered:
      • Services for relative caregivers age 55 and older who are caring for children ages 18 and under
      • Support groups
      • Parenting classes and resource materials
      • Services vary by geographic area

      Olympic Area Agency on Aging
      Contact: Carolyn Lindley
      Phone: 360-452-3221
      Email: lindlcl@dshs.wa.ogov
      Service area: Sequim

      Washington GrandFacts - 6
      Olympic Area Agency on Aging – cont.
      Services offered:
      • Support group with guest speakers
      • Information and referral by telephone
      • Monthly newsletter for families in Clallam, Jefferson, Grays Harbor and Pacific Counties
      o To subscribe:
      o Published in cooperation with Parenting Matters Foundation (

      Parents Again: Grandparents and Other Relatives Raising Children
      Contact: Viola Hansel, Program Coordinator
      Phone: 360-695-1325
      Service area: Clark, Cowlitz Counties
      Services offered:
      • Support groups
      • Bimonthly newsletter
      • Information and referral
      • Library of kinship case materials
      • Children's therapy groups
      • Limited respite care, advocacy
      • Parenting classes provided for relatives raising relative children
      • Quarterly activity for relative respite (includes children's activity)

      Pierce County Relatives Raising Children
      Sponsoring Organization: Pierce County Aging and Long Term Care (PCRRC)
      Contact: Edith Owen, Coordinator
      Phone: 253-565-4484, ext 104
      Service area: Pierce County
      Services offered:
      • Support
      • Education
      • Advocacy
      • Partnerships with community service providers, schools, faith community
      • Kinship Navigator Program – resources and referrals

      Relatives Raising Relatives
      Sponsoring Organization: Children's Home Society/support from Brookdale Foundation
      Contact: Betsy Blake
      Phone: 509-747-4174
      Service area: Spokane

      Washington GrandFacts - 7

      Relatives Raising Relatives – cont.
      Services offered:
      • Support groups
      • Counseling
      • Information and referral
      • Respite care and activity days

      Washington Kinship Navigator Program
      Contact: Hilari Hauptman
      Phone: 1-800-422-3263
      Web: [Link Removed]
      Services offered:
      • Information on financial resources, child care, health, food, foster care, kinship navigators, support groups
      • Online applications for some services
      • Related books and websites

      Washington State Aging and Disability Services Administration of the Department of
      Social and Health Services (DSHS)
      Contact: Hilari Hauptman, MSW, Kinship and Family Caregiver Program Mgr.
      Phone: 800-422-3263
      Services offered:
      • Relatives as Parents: A Resource Guide for Relatives Raising Children (publication # DSHS 22-996x –
      revision 9/05) – Contact Department of Printing at or fax 360-586-8831 – provide
      publication number, quantity desired, mailing address and phone number.

      Washington State Department of Social and Health Services – Children's
      • A Relative's Guide to Child Welfare Services (Publication Number DSHS 22-492X – 5/01) – resource guide
      focused on relative caregivers who are working with Child Protective Services or Child Welfare Services
      o Contact Department of Printing at fax 360-586-8831 or [Link Removed] – provide publication
      number, quantity desired, mailing address and phone number

      Washington GrandFacts - 8
      Washington State Kinship Oversight Committee
      Contact person: Michael Luque, MSW, Foster Care & Kinship Care Manager
      Phone: 360-902-7986
      Service area: Statewide
      Services offered:
      • Legislatively mandated coalition of about 40 public and private organizations, kinship advocates and
      caregivers, child advocates, legislative staff, foster parents, state agencies, and tribes
      • Addresses issues facing kinship caregivers statewide
      • Develops information and expands public awareness
      • Access Kinship Care Oversight Committee Reports at [Link Removed]
      (scroll down to Kinship Care)

      Other Resources

      Voices of Children Annual Kinship Care Children's Contest
      Contact: Shelly Willis
      Phone: 1-877-813-2828
      • Contest for children living with a relative to express how that has made a positive difference in their life
      • Children 5-19 may enter original drawings, poems or essays
      • First 200 entrants receive special gifts
      • Top two entries in each age division receive gift certificates from Twin County Credit Union
      • All entries published annually in book – Voices of Children Raised by Grandparents and Other Relatives

      Legal Options for Grandparents and Relatives Raising Children in Washington State
      • 1 hour, 25 minutes long
      • Explains legal options including third party custody, guardianship, adoption
      • Features Rebecca Morrow, former Kinship Legal Fellow with Columbia Legal Services in Seattle
      • Available at 800-422-3263 or by emailing

      Mediation for Kinship Caregivers: An Alternative to the Courtroom
      • 10 minutes long
      • Produced by State RAPP Coalition with Dispute Resolution Centers of Washington State
      • Explains to relatives, support group leaders, mediators and parents how mediation can resolve family
      • Available for purchase ($27) from Hilari Hauptman, Aging and Disability Services Administration, P.O. Box
      45600, Olympia, WA 98504-5600; 800-422-3263 or

      Washington GrandFacts - 9
      Children in Foster Care

      Numbers – July 2006
      • 15,000 children in out-of-home placements under the supervision of the Washington State Department of
      Social and Health Services, Children's Administration.
      • 4,297 of these children were placed with relatives.

      • State law and policy require that when an out-of-home placement is necessary, the preference is to place
      the child with relatives or "other suitable persons" (person with a pre-existing relationship with the child
      or family) as long as safety concerns and the best interest of the child are primary considerations.
      • No separate licensing program for kinship foster parents.
      • Licensed kin receive the same foster care payment as non-kin foster parents.
      • Resource Family Training Institute offers training to relative and kinship caregivers

      Subsidized guardianship
      • Washington does not have a subsidized guardianship program.

      • Michael Luque, MSW, Foster Care & Kinship Care Program Manager
      o Phone: 360-902-7986
      o Email:

      Training and support
      • Foster Parent Association of Washington State (FPAWS)
      o Works collaboratively with individuals and organizations on issues relating to kinship care and foster
      o Web: [Link Removed]
      o Phone: 800-391-2273

      Public Benefits
      Children are often eligible for state and federal benefits even if their caregivers do not have legal
      guardianship or custody. The following public benefits programs are offered in Washington:

      Childcare Assistance
      • Relative caregivers can qualify for Working Connections Child Care Program (WCCC) even if only one
      person in a couple is working.
      • Contact:
      o Local Community Service Office
      o Web: [Link Removed]

      Washington GrandFacts - 10
      Financial Assistance
      • Cash assistance may be available to children and their relative caregivers through Washington's TANF
      • Contact:
      o Phone: 1-877-980-9220 (automated; use website to find local office numbers)
      o Web: [Link Removed] (Find "Financial Assistance" in Topics on left)

      Food Stamps
      • Kinship care families may be eligible for food stamps.
      • Contact:
      o Phone: 1-877-980-9220 (automated; use website to find local office numbers)
      o Web: (Find "Food Stamps" in Topics on left)

      Health Insurance
      • Children who receive a TANF grant automatically receive medical coverage.
      • Other children may receive free or low cost medical coverage from Children's Medical Programs. In
      some cases, caregivers may be eligible for free coverage.
      • Contact Healthy Kids Now
      o Phone: 1-800-562-3022
      o Web: [Link Removed]

      Benefits QuickLINK
      • Screens you and/or the children you are raising for 15 major public benefits for older adults and families
      with children
      o Web:

      Other Benefits – child care, disabilities, special education, older adult benefits, etc.
      • Children's Defense Fund benefit guides for grandparents and other relatives for information about state and
      federal benefits
      o Phone: 202-662-3568
      o Web: (Kinship Care Resource Kit)
      • National Council on Aging – Benefits CheckUp

      State Laws
      Kinship Caregivers' Consent for Mental Health Care of Minors (H.B. 3139)
      • Competent adult responsible for the health care of a minor patient is able to consent to the mental health care
      of children in their care. Go to for more information.

      Washington's Kinship Care Medical Care (SHB 1281)
      • Allows relative caregivers access to appropriate medical care on behalf of children in their care, permitting
      them to give informed consent to medical care for those children. Go to for
      more information.

      Washington GrandFacts - 11
      Tribal Foster Care Licensing (H.B. 3182)
      • Indian tribes in Washington may enter into agreements with the state to license agencies on or near federally
      recognized Indian reservations to care for children outside their own homes and arrange for the placement of
      children in foster care. Indian Tribes that do not have reservation land may license foster care homes within
      their service district.

      None of the sponsoring organizations whose logos appear on this fact sheet (AARP Foundation, Brookdale Foundation Group, Casey
      Family Programs, Child Welfare League of America, Children's Defense Fund, or Generations United) recommends or endorses any
      of the groups, agencies or services listed within the fact sheet. Neither the sponsoring organizations nor any of their employees make
      any warranty, expressed or implied, or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any
      information. None of the sponsoring organizations shall have liability to any fact sheet user or to any third party for any loss expense,
      or damage, including consequential, incidental, special or punitive damages. A user's sole and exclusive remedy for dissatisfaction
      with this fact sheet is to cease using the fact sheet. Please be advised that there may be other similar services available that are not
      listed on this fact sheet. The sponsoring organizations are not obligated to include any specific groups, agencies or services and may
      choose not to include some that submit their information. The sponsoring organizations are not responsible for consumer interactions
      with groups, agencies or services listed on these fact sheets.

      Ganmaof3, Your links have been removed, please consider upgrading to premium membership.


  • Kinship & Granparent's re-parenting Support Group View Group »

    Kinship Support