Don't have an account? To participate in discussions consider signing up or signing in
facebook connect
Sign-up, its free! Close [x]


  • okay Create lasting relationships with other like minded women.
  • okay Blogging, let your voice be heard!
  • okay Interact with other women through blogs,questions and groups.
  • okay Photo Album, upload your most recent vacation pictures.
  • okay Contests, Free weekly prize drawing.
  • okay Weekly Newsletter.


My Blog

  • Baby Shower

    Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011

    Last Sunday I went to my dear friend Erica’s baby shower.  It was given by one of her friends.  It was very intimate and low-key...just 3 of her friends and her.  I have known Erica since college so we’ve been friends 20 years.  Lisa has been her friend since high school and Nellie has been her friend for quite a while too.  She used to work with Nellie a long time ago.

    I am VERY happy that Erica is pregnant.  This is her first child and it is a girl.  I wish that it had happened sooner so that our kids could be closer in age.  But Jack is 3 so that isn’t a huge difference.

    Back to the was a nice affair.  Nellie made a salad with polenta and portabelllo mushrooms and some other stuff that I can’t remember but it was really really good.  She also had some wine.  I bought a lasagna, which unfortunately wasn’t homemade and a fruit salad which I did make myself.  happy  Lisa bought some hummus and some tortilla looking thing which was actually pretty sweet, greek yogurt, and some other healthy stuff.

    I will be posting some pictures of the shower soon.  I just haven’t been to a baby shower in a LONG time.  Shoot, the last one might have been mine 3 years ago.  The next time I go to a shower might be when one of my nieces gets pregnant which probably won’t be for another 10 years or so (they are teens now).

    9 Replies
  • Changes in our household

    Posted on Friday, September 16, 2011

    After being unemployed for almost a year, my dear hubby went back to work a week ago.  He’s working full-time as a Detailing Center Manager.  His hours are 8 a.m. - 6p.m. Monday through Friday.  I am glad he has a job now but this has resulted in some changes for all of us.

    For Jack, it means he’s at the babysitter about 11 hours the days I work.  Luckily he’s adjusted pretty well and the babysitter has a son that is Jack’s same age.

    For Kyle, it means that he’s taking one school bus 3 days a week and another school bus 2 days a week.  I’m usually off on Thursdays and Fridays.  The babysitter also has a son his age.

    For me, it means I have to drop the kids off in the mornings at the babysitters and pick them up in the evenings.  This has added some more time to my already long commute.  I’m not getting into work until 9:30ish now and we don’t get home until about 7ish from the sitters.  I also need to start on dinner and help with Kyle’s homework.  He’s only in 3rd grade but he has a TON of homework.

    Yes, my days are pretty long the days I have to work.  Luckily I only work 3 days a week.  And when my husband was home with the boys, dinner would be ready when I got home.  That was nice...I’m definitely going to miss that!  

    We have been trying to move closer to our jobs but it has not been easy trying to sell our house in today’s housing market.  Houses have not been selling in our neighborhood.

    6 Replies
  • Where were you on 9-11-01?

    Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2011

    It is hard to believe that 10 years has passed since that terrible tragic day.  For me, 2001 had already been a pretty rough year.  In July of that year, my dad died and then my brother Virgil was going through a divorce.

    I remember driving to work that day and hearing about the first plane hitting a building and I remember thinking, how in the world could that happen?  I thought maybe the plane had clipped the building but not actually went INTO the building.  

    When I got to work, everyone was standing around watching TV and watching the horrific events unfold.  Some people were crying.  Shortly after I got to work, we were all sent home.  My work location was VERY close to Dulles Airport.  It didn’t take that long to get home since I didn’t work close to the city.  I was working in Chantilly, VA at the time.

    However my husband Jason was working in Washington DC at the time and he says he remembers the smoke coming from the Pentagon.  Three people from my company were at the Pentagon and died that day.  It took my husband many many hours to get home from Washington DC.  

    At the time we lived near Washington National Airport and so we were used to seeing and hearing planes in the sky.  I will never forget how eeire it was when there were NO planes in the sky.

    My brothers, former sister in law, and aunt all worked in DC and I tried reaching them on their cells and couldn’t get through.  It was unsettling to say the least.

    How about you? Where were you when 9/11 occurred?

    6 Replies
  • Some good news

    Posted on Friday, September 2, 2011

    This past Monday I went for my annual physical.  I also had some bloodwork done.  Last year, at a Health Fair that my job sponsored, I had some comprehensive bloodwork done.  They did many tests on me and I actually received a booklet with all my results.

    I was diagnosed with prediabetes.  My doctor told me that 50% of people diagnosed with prediabetes will get diabetes within 5 years.  

    My mom had Multiple Sclerosis, tuberculosis, macular degeneration, and ostoperosis.  My dad had kidney disease, heart problems, a brain aneurysm, and high chloresterol.  Neither had diabetes.  However, my uncle, my dad’s brother, has diabetes.

    I was a bit surprised to be diagnosed as prediabetic.  I’m not overweight.  Obesity is a major contributor to Type 2 diabetes.  However I am Hispanic.  Hispanics and Blacks have a higher risk of developing diabetes.

    When the nurse called with my lab results this week, she said the results were “excellent“.  I no LONGER have prediabetes!!  I’m very relieved, but I did take some steps to reverse this.

    I started exercising more and being more consistent about it.  I usually exercise 3 days a week.  This week I have exercised 4 days!  I do a variety of stuff.  I work out at the gym, take a yoga class, do some walking, and do a Pilates or balance ball workout at home.  When I walk, I also bring my boys and dog with me.  I want them to make exercise part of their routine as well.

    Dietwise, I bring fruits and vegetables to snack on at work.  At home, we eat fish once a week and am looking for ways to incorporate more beans into our diet.

    If you would like more information about diabetes and/or prediabetes, please visit the American Diabetes Association website.

    15 Replies
  • Birthday party

    Posted on Saturday, August 6, 2011

    My son’s 8th birthday party was today.  I was getting a little stressed out because I didn’t think a lot of kids were coming.  I had my Jack’s birthday party back in April and only 1 kid showed up.  But lo and behold, 4 kids came and my son Kyle had a blast.

    In the past, we have had bday parties at other venues besides our house.  This was because we used to live in a very small house but now our home is bigger and it’s easier to entertain.

    We had hot dogs, burgers, chips, fruit salad and of course, your standard birthday cake and ice-cream.  I got some balloons, a Star Wars tablecloth, and Star Wars plates.  We took pictures and videotaped part of the party.  The kids got goody bags when they left.

    All in all, the kids had a good time and I enjoyed some conversation with the moms.  Birthday parties are fun!!

    7 Replies
  • It's been 4 years but sometimes it still feels like yesterday

    Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011

    My mom died 4 years ago on July 31, 2007.  The end of the month, the end of her life.  She had battled Multiple Sclerosis for over 3 decades and on July 13th, she fell down and from there, her health rapidly deteroriated.  She had a painful urinary infection, she was almost blind, and she was very weak.  She was so weak she needed help to get from her bed to the portable toilet near her bed.  Before, she could do this herself.

    I saw my mom a few days before she died.  I was there with my oldest brother Robert and she said to me, “This is probably the last time you are going to see me.”  It was like she knew she was dying.  My brother then left and we were able to spend some time together, just the two of us.  I tried to get her to think about the happy times in her life but she only wanted to think about the unhappy times which was unfortunate.

    My mom was a deeply religious person and was not afraid of death.  In fact, she was ready for it and wanted to die years before this.

    I remember getting “the call“.  I was taking a shower in the evening before bed and I heard the phone ring.  When I got of the shower, my husband said that my brother had called.  Right away, I knew something bad had happened.  

    When my brother told me she died, I immediately went over there.  She had died in her sleep.  Ironically, I remember her asking me once, “Wouldn’t it be wonderful to just go to sleep and never wake up again?”  I think this kind of death is like a saint’s death.

    We had a hard time finding a place to have mom’s funeral mass at.  To our surprise, we found out that she had never registered at the church that she always went to.  Eventually, they did let us have the funeral mass there.  I almost missed the viewing which was only a half hour due to horrific traffic.

    I gave my 2 weeks notice to my company the day before she died.  It was for a job in Maryland.  We had planned to move there to be closer to her.  Afterwards, to get to my new job, I had to go by where she used to live everyday.  And then, not even a month later, I found out I was pregnant with Jack.  Yes, a lot of changes within a short period of time.

    It is definitely a wierd feeling when you become an orphan.  You have no parents left and I, despite having a family of my own, felt quite alone.  I really do miss talking to her on the phone and visiting with her.  RIP Mom.

    10 Replies