|Sign-up, its free!||Close [x]|
Why is it that Summer can be a time of putting on Five Extra Pounds? Well, I can tell you from personal experience, no I am not perfect, I too can put on weight...and this is how - enjoying life to the fullest. I believe that during the summer months it is a great time to get caught up with friends and family, as we tend to hibernate in the Winter, and getting together with friends and family can mean that extra glass of cold white wine, those delicious sweet potato fries... These are my downfalls. What are yours?
Well, Fall is around the corner and I always look at after Labour Day as a time to get back on track. So here are a few suggestions for a healthier diet that I am going to use and perhaps you would like to try out as well. I would love to hear how they work for you.
Root Vegetables such as yams, turnips, beets, red potatoes, squash and even a few carrots actually help you to lose weight because they are high in fiber and contain high water levels which helps to fill you up longer. Also they have a lower concentration of calories compared to other foods such as pasta.
Research has shown that individuals who eat breakfast live longer, have healthier hearts and are less prone to depression and stress and are slimmer. Research has also proven that people who do not eat breakfast will be hungry mid-morning and will turn to high fat snacks such as something sweet, and this in turn is likely to cause them to put on weight.
Green Leafy Vegetables such as spinach, cabbage and broccoli (check out my Facebook Timeline for a great broccoli recipe) can prove to be very filling. They are bulky veggies because of plenty of leaves and stalks, they also contain folic acid which is important for nerve functioning and helps to prevent heart disease. Broccoli contains one/seventh of the calories found in pasta.
A recent study from Canada is suggesting that a key chemical in chilies can boost your body’s ability to burn fat and curb your appetite because capsaicin, the chemical that gives chilies such as cayenne and paprika their pungency actually stimulates a natural process whereby some of the food that we eat is converted immediately to heat. This is called diet-induced thermogenesis, and this process is great for people wanting to lose weight because it means that we burn up calories automatically rather than storing them.
by Leslie Traill
Me and my dear friend and workout buddy!
You can feel confident and sexy even without makeup and in your exercise clothes!
I am going to give you a statistic that is going to blow your mind...
*Did you know that there are more people over 60 years of age in the U.S. than are under 15 years of age?
I know. I can hear you saying to yourself, “I am not even near the age of 60. I am 45, I am 50, I am 55.” Well, guess what! I never thought I would be over 60 either! However, on January 17th, 2013 I turned 65. I now get “the Pension“, as my Dad used to call it, which I find very funny. In fact, I laugh all the way to the bank! It is my pay back for having aged and being around to enjoy it.
Do I feel 65? NO.
Do I act 65? NO.
Do I buy into being old? NO!
WHY??? BECAUSE I PREPARED FOR IT!
I can assure you that if you do not look after yourself, you will, in fact, feel old when you hit 60 years of age, and there is absolutely no need to have this happen. We are constantly reading about how to live a healthy lifestyle. However, quite honestly, are you living one? Do you eat clean, healthy foods? Do you get some form of exercise daily? Do you keep up on the latest trends? BE SMART! Eat clean and healthy foods. BE SEXY! Get some form of exercise. BE HIP! Keep up on the latest trend. What is the latest Trend? Turning 60 and feeling like you are 40! ARE YOU READY to get started?!?
You know life is not passing you by, unless... you let it.
Are you feeling out of touch with your life?
Do you feel invisible?
Are you becoming your mother?
Do you and your significant other argue a great deal of the time?
Do you feel abandoned by your friends?
Are you bored with your career?
Do your kids ignore you and seem to be so ungrateful and unloving?
If you allow these things to get to you, then life is truly passing you by, because you are letting it. So you ask what can I do to change these feelings? I think that the first thing to do is to recognize them and then decide how you are going to handle them. So let’s go through them one by one with each other:
- If you are feeling out of touch with your life then find a new hobby, go to a seminar or ask a friend out for lunch or dinner - If you are feeling invisible first determine if it is emotional or physical. If it is emotional then pamper yourself, get a mani and pedi... get a facial... buy a new piece of clothing, jewellery, shoes or a bag. If it is physical then sit down and put together a new eating and exercise plan. Find a workout or walking partner to spend some time with. - If you feel like you are becoming your mother and it makes you feel uncomfortable then spend some time with your mother and recognize her beautiful traits and see those traits in yourself. - If you and your significant other are arguing a great deal of the time, arrange a date night, get dressed up and really admire and complement each other like you would on a first date. You will be surprised how things can turn around in one evening by adding a little romance. - If you are feeling abandoned by your friends, ask yourself if you have in fact been hiding, not picking up the phone, returning e-mails and generally being reclusive - reach out you will be surprised with the results. - If you are feeling bored with your career then perhaps it is time to make a change or ask if there is another opportunity within the company that you are working for. If you are self-employed then spice up your business with some new ideas and act on them as quickly as possible to get those creative juices flowing. - If you are feeling that your kids are ignoring you and are ungrateful and unloving then spend more time with them. Invite them out for dinner, to a show, for a walk, a bike ride... anything which allows you to have one to one time with them that is fun and not critical or serious.
One of the most important things that you can do for yourself is to validate your accomplishments personally and professionally. You, and only you, have the ability to “live in the eye of your life“... make it happen and have fun doing it!
If you would like further help and someone to guide you through the transition you are experiencing in your life, contact Leslie.
At this time of year many of us are thinking about how we can avoid that nasty “five pound” weight gain that the Experts talk about. Believe me this is not necessary, in fact you can maintain your weight during the holidays very easily.
The time up to Christmas and between Christmas and New Year's is a wonderful time for getting together with family and friends. However, it is also a dreaded time in so many people’s minds and often times many of us just give up to those extra “five pounds” and say “Who Cares I Will Lose It in the New Year“. Rather than making a New Year’s resolution to lose weight, why not make a Pre New Year's Resolution not to put any on.
Here are some suggestions:
- Make sure you get a good night's sleep the night before a party. Sleepless nights are directly linked to an increase in the body’s production of a hormone called Ghrelin, which is a hunger hormone.
- Keep up your exercise program, and in fact, exercise in the morning before any holiday dinners or parties.
- Drink plenty of water; make sure you drink an 8oz glass of water before a big meal. Also, drink water in between an alcoholic beverage.
- Find healthier recipes for holiday parties with tasty substitutes for high fat ingredients.
Fill half of your plate with healthy veggies.
- Bring a healthy dish to a party that is tasty and that everyone will enjoy. It will be easier for you to eat wisely when you have support.
- When getting ready for a party, usually we tell ourselves if we starve ourselves all day we can eat more later that night, but actually, it is important to eat every 3 to 4 hours, at the same time of day if possible, it lowers insulin, causing less cravings and less body fat.
- If you want to lose weight do not eat 3 hours before bedtime. So for example if you go to sleep at 11:00 p.m. your last meal or snack should be at 8:00 p.m.
You do not need to deprive yourself of enjoying the wonderful food during the Holiday Season just remember to make those healthy choices and keep at the back of your mind that in The New Year you may want to lose 10 lbs. but not 15 lbs. by putting 5 lbs. on during the Holidays.
Have you been watching the Olympics? I have, with great interest and excitement. Have you noticed the relationship between the Athletes and their Coaches? Why do you think there is such a strong bond? This is why:
A Coach has the ability to teach, encourage, validate, help focus, and turn the Athletes hard work and talent into success.
Can you imagine what their performances would be without a coach?
Coaching an individual really is no different than coaching an Athlete. We all have an innate talent that can be drawn out of each and every one of us once we are able to move past the obstacles that hold us back. Those obstacles can be fear, lack of confidence and simply not knowing how to move forward.
Are you working hard and not getting where you want to be?
Can you imagine what your performance in life would be with the help of a Life Coach?
Maybe you are curious about how a Life Coach would enhance your life.
Do you want to improve your life?
If you are interested in finding out more about Life Coaching, I would be happy to answer your questions, as well as, offer you a complimentary half-hour session to determine if Life Coaching is for you and if I am the Life Coach that is able to help you be “Awesome in your Life“.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Leslie Traill - Certified NLP, Life Coach
Phone: 416.473.8813 | Email
If you would like to do a self-evaluation to see if you could benefit from a life coach, take a survey HERE. (any age can take this survey - you will be prompted to pick an age group)
Why do I need protein?
Your body uses proteins in your diet to build new cells, maintain tissues, and synthesize new proteins that make it possible for you to perform basic bodily functions - such as muscle and brain function. As we age we lose muscle mass and cell responsiveness. Proteins transmit essential hormones and chemicals to all parts of your body.
How much protein do I need?
Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. *It is recommended that adults get one gram of protein for every kilogram of body weight. In terms of protein for older adults, one-and-a-half grams per kilogram may be more appropriate for preserving senior muscle mass.
Try these quick snacks for on the run protein:
1. Protein Shakes (see below)
2. Almonds, no more than 10 - 15
3. Lowfat yogart cups
4. 1% fat cottage cheese cups (not much more fat and they taste much better)
Morning Protein Shake:
One cup Almond Milk or Coconut Milk
Handful of spinach
Two sprigs of mint
Blend....it is delicious and a wonderful drink to take with you as you are running out the door!
My Favourite Summer Protein Shake:
1 cup frozen mango
1 cup low fat, 30 calorie almond milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
Blend...Delicious and very refreshing
If you add less almond milk it becomes thicker and it is like eating soft ice cream...yummy!
*References: Clinical Geriatrics. July 2009. pages 44-45, [Link Removed]