Don't have an account? To participate in discussions consider signing up or signing in
facebook connect
Sign-up, its free! Close [x]


  • okay Create lasting relationships with other like minded women.
  • okay Blogging, let your voice be heard!
  • okay Interact with other women through blogs,questions and groups.
  • okay Photo Album, upload your most recent vacation pictures.
  • okay Contests, Free weekly prize drawing.
  • okay Weekly Newsletter.


Carine’s Blog

  • Just Think!

    Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2016

    This week was pretty busy.

    Very active on the career side of things too.  Two interviews to accomplish, went to a lovely luncheon with a great group of people at a magazine that I’ve been a contributor of for the last 3-1/2 years.  It was really great to put faces, voices and personalities to the folks I’ve only e-mailed with all this time!

    I also went on my usual power walks with my new found walking buddies, walked Lucky on a couple of other mornings, went to get my eyes examined (No such luck on my optometrist checking out the head as well since he was in the region), ordered new glasses since it appears that age and the conk on the noggin in August seems to have made my old prescription not do its job and last-found myself on TV!

    It was all quite impromptu.  So impromptu that the first day I did NOT have on a stitch of make-up and they showed my clip in various lengths on 3 news segments.  Sigh.  There I was fully made up and in real “clothes” (read this, not the Anthem/New River uniform of yoga pants and tee) the day before for my luncheon but could they catch me then?  NOOOOO.

    I was going to pick up the boys when Sarah informed me that the school was in lockdown.  Seems the area no-goodniks and a friend were not only burglarizing homes but doing so with loaded guns.  Thanks to helicopters and a swift reaction from the Maricopa Police Dept. all three were caught and the lockdown orders were lifted.  

    However while waiting our local ABC news team was there and asked me a few questions.  I’d like to think he was impressed with my long stifled radio news skills in the way I answered him but I’m getting long winded here so I’ll get to the “rest of the story“.  (Forgive me Paul Harvey)

    He asked for my name and contact information in case he needed to ask any clarification questions.  He didn’t call and I figured “that was that“.

    However, while having coffee with a friend the next morning he called and wanted to know if I’d like to be part of a story on what residents of our fair city were doing to protect ourselves from the break-ins that seem to be again on the rise?

    It didn’t take him long to arrive and my next foray into my long since shelved broadcast career was put to the test, sort of speak.

    Lucky liked him and even Pepper stayed in view of the goings-on!

    We chatted for an hour about our security measures, he took footage and then he was off to put it together and I took advantage of the glorious 70 degrees of sun and went for a walk.

    Just think, it took 4 years to get a degree in broadcast journalism, 1-1/2 years of grad school, 3 years of on-air afternoon radio news/public affairs programming and lord only knows how many years of free-lance writing to finally be on TV.  And was it my writing skills or on-air speaking voice?

    No, it was all due to being the victim of a home invasion.

    Just think.

    0 Replies
  • I Hate the Cold

    Posted on Friday, January 22, 2016

    While I totally and completely realize that we here in Arizona have NOTHING to complain about weather wise-I’m still ready for Spring’s arrival.  In lieu of it, I’m just ready for the wind and the accompanying chill factor to warm up.

    Since the New Year, a couple of neighbors and I have been meeting at about 10 a.m. for a power walk.  The first week was a total bust.  We “powered” through Monday in 42 degrees and strong winds.  I think it took us the rest of the day to thaw and feel our extremities.  Poor Lucky!  I carried her 1/2 the way (hey, she’s 6 lbs and has a bad back-don’t judge) back home.

    The rest of that week was rain, rain and more rain-all with super strong and cold winds.  We each used either our treadmills or the gym we pay for through our HOA.

    Since then a few of the mornings have hit maybe 65, but the chilly winds took that wonderful sunny warmth away and made for a very tough walk.  I kid you not-we were constantly being blown back and trying to lean into the wind.

    Take today,  I put on a couple of layers of clothing and a hoodie.  I added some gloves and some earmuffs (Yes, for constantly cold me this was necessary).  I put on Lucky’s cute heart patterned fleece hoodie as well.  My neighbor and her mother-in-law (visiting) met me.  They too were bundled up.  

    We stayed on the “sunny side” of the block.  As if the sunny side would feel warmer when the temperature was 52 and per my Weather Channel app-the wind was blowing at 20 MPH and made the air feel “45“.

    Either way, we leaned into the wind and pushed on for the complete 2-1/4 mile circuit we’ve created for ourselves.

    As we parted ways to go to our homes Steve drove by and stopped-“Did you want to keep walking in this wind or do you want to hop in and I take you home?”  I kissed him good-bye and said it was only another 1/4 mile and after the week filled with lots of family, food and fun-I really needed every single step!  

    That said, first thing I did when I finished turning off the security system, un-dressing the dog and myself and putting my keys, phone, etc. down was to turn on some hot water in the sink and defrost my hands enough to write this hopefully entertaining blog for you.  

    Now I’m going to go pour myself some of the rest of the pot of coffee I made for breakfast, heat it up and warm the rest of me while reading what appears to be the bonus of the day-I have an issue of the newspaper!  Can I hear a woot, woot?  

    (Not actually sure, because my ears are still frozen even with the adorable blue flowered earmuffs my daughter gave me.)

    0 Replies
  • Yuck

    Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2016

    There was an epiphany in my head this week.  Despite various websites on low-carb cooking telling me they believe low-carb doesn’t have to be dull and less than satisfying-I have found them to be just that.

     I know, you‘re all thinking:  What?  Carine is actually talking about cooking here on her blog?  What on earth has caused this rather un-expected event?

     Steve, my husband-that’s who/what.

     As you may know if you’ve gone to “the other side” and checked out my cooking blog on, Steve has been told numerous times to cut back on carbs, salt and red meat.  All of which he is not doing and when he does-I swear I’m seeing dig marks all over this horrible bamboo flooring from his running from even trying to “cut back” on the said items.

     My epiphany?  I found several websites and the Mayo Clinic, all of whom are boasting about their delicious dishes that are low-carb.  I beg to differ.

     My proof?

     Bread made with coconut flour, psyillium husks, coconut oil and egg whites.  

     Buffalo chicken “meat” loaf with loads of hot wing sauce and blue cheese.

     Peanut butter chocolate chip “muffins” made of peanut flour, egg whites, Truvia and some kind of sugarless “chocolate” chips.

     Those are just the top three I thought I might be able to get by Steve with a little of my own personal cooking magic thrown in.

     Here were the results:

     The bread-GROSS.  I take 2 tbsp. of psyillium husks in some crystal lite every single morning.  it is disgusting.  Putting it through the processor with the coconut flour and mixing it with coconut oil and egg whites looked liked throw up (sorry for the description, but trust me-it’s a theme in these recipes).  I baked it and it was NOT edible.  Plus, the ingredients were expensive and I found there was absolutely no way for me to doctor it up or re-purpose it to make it palatable for either of us to eat.

     The Buffalo loaf.  I thought for sure this one would be okay-I can’t eat blue cheese, but I figured some Daiya mozzarella would do.  Sorry-even with all that spice-this loaf looked like the stuff Lucky and Pepper “shared” with me in bed the other night (a whole other story-suffice to say that both got sick at the same time causing me to change pjs while Steve did the sheets and then we comforted the two of them).  Steve wouldn’t touch it.  Told me to toss it and wanted an egg white omelet instead.

     And last, the PB muffins.  Expensive to make, ugly to look at and did NOT have the texture of any muffin I wanted to eat.  

     The last one that might be something that would pass is a “Mock” apple crisp made with zucchini.  It has the zucchini obviously taking the place of the apples. The topping is walnuts, cinnamon and coconut flour.  It doesn’t look too good in the picture-but I’m thinking that might not be too bad.

     I really love to cook/bake for Steve and the family.  I really want to make things that are healthy.  But my epiphany is that this low-carb, low salt thing is going to really be quite the trial and error event.

     That said-Steve took advantage of my need for a muscle relaxant last night and took out baby back ribs for dinner.  Sigh.

    0 Replies
  • Promo is a Rip Off

    Posted on Friday, January 8, 2016

    Anyone who knows Steve and I also knows that we are not spenders, we rarely buy even something off of our grocery list on a whim and we only want what we‘re entitled too in life.

    That said, here’s this week’s rant:

    Steve bought himself a new smartphone around Thanksgiving.  It had a lot of promos, etc. that went with it.  Headsets, covers, gift cards, discounts-you get the drift.  Most of these items were done separately between the phone manufacturer, the store he bought it through and a promotion company.

    Three weeks later, he finally received one of the 3 promotions.  He had tried numerous times to get this one company to update him on the other two submissions status.  Only once did someone e-mail him and let him know that so many people did this purchase that they were over-whelmed with trying to put through all of these e-cards/codes.

    The problem?  The only time you could use these were between 12/15-12/31/15.  That and that no one has ever updated him (despite that the website says they will be giving weekly reports), returned an e-mail (save the 1st one) or answered a phone.  The store says that they have nothing to do with it, the manufacturer’s message center is so full that the phone just hangs up and the “prize” company is ignoring everyone, evidently.

    My feeling is this, we have all become so attached to our electronic toys that all of the sellers, makers and promo companies feel we should be over the moon if they actually go through with what they have offered to get us to buy the latest and greatest version of what we had.

    As much as I use my phone-sometimes I just love to put it out of sight and go totally old school.  Yes, rather than help Steve type out yet another request to find out where his packet of stuff is, hold on to the phone waiting for someone to answer or type out this rant, I prefer going to the library and getting a book to read, go to the magazine section and pick out a new crossword puzzle magazine or just go sit out on the patio and watch Lucky sniff every paver in the yard.

    It takes less time, it’s less stressful and in the end my day is far more pleasant.  

    Many people suggest a day to “unplug“-personally, I’m all for it.  I don’t need to know every little move everyone makes, the latest rumor going around or even what’s bugging the heck out of everyone else.

    So there.

    0 Replies